Detroit Legacy Certification Application Is Now Open!
Note: Applications are open and being processed.
Detroit Legacy Program
Detroit Legacy Certified Applicant
The Detroit Legacy applications process will open on January 19, 2021. The City of Detroit's Civil Rights, Inclusion, and Opportunity (CRIO) Department will certify that applicants currently reside in Detroit and must provide documentation that they have:
- Lived in Detroit for 15 of the last 30 years, or
- Lived in Detroit for 13 of the last 30 years and are low income, or
- Lived in Detroit for 10 of the last 30 years and have a marijuana conviction or have a parent with a marijuana conviction.
Detroit’s recreational license program will be administered according to five key principles:
Apply for a License
After completing your State License and Detroit Legacy application, prepare to apply for a city license.
Applications for recreational marijuana licenses will open in three phases:
- Detroit Legacy applicants: Application period: April 1, 2021 – April 30, 2021 Application review begins May 1, 2021
- General applicants with existing medical marijuana license: Application period: April 1, 2021 – April 30, 2021 Application review begins June 16, 2021
- General applicants without existing medical marijuana license: Application period: April 1, 2021 – ongoing Application review begins August 1, 2021
Types of Available Licenses
The new ordinance authorizes licenses for seven types of recreational marihuana businesses, as well as licenses for event organizers and permits for temporary marihuana events. Each type of license and the number available are specified in the table below.
|License Type||Number of Licenses Available|
|Medical Marijuana Provisioning Center||75|
|Adult-Use Retailer Establishment||75|
|Safety Compliance Facility||Unlimited|
|Designated Consumption Lounge||35|
|Marijuana Event Organizer||Unlimited|
|Temporary Marijuana Event||Unlimited|
Zoning & Building Permit Process
Steps to confirm your zoning and receive the required approvals for a building permit